Monday, April 21, 2014

The Least of These


As most of you know, this past weekend was Easter weekend; where we as Christians celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Who willing died on the cross to cover everyone in the entire world’s sins.

A sweet, sweet lady that goes to our church, who works at Martha Franks - a Christ Centered Retirement Community in our home town, Laurens SC with approximately 80 residents - asked my husband, Brett to come and sing some songs for the residents this past Saturday. They had a speaker earlier in the day and I think some other event and then my husband was to end the day with some signing and guitar playing.

Like other communities like this one, I am sure there are some residents that do not get visitors for various reasons they are all there because of different circumstances. Which breaks my heart because I want to be able to help them all, spend all the time with them, and just make them feel loved.

Anytime Brett is asked to speak or play somewhere I try my best to be able to go. Sometimes, it doesn’t work out to where I can because let’s face it; life is very crazy especially when you have a 3 year old.

I thought it would be a good idea to make up little Easter bags and fill them with candy so if the residents didn’t get any visitors or anything for Easter they could have a little something. We filled the cute little bunny bags with chocolate, butterscotch and mints.



 

 

And while Brett was singing, our daughter Peyton handed out all of the bags to the residents that attended.





 

The songs that were sung were:
I’ll Fly Away
I Saw The Light
Amazing Grace
How Great Thou Art
Up From the Grave

 

All of the residents seemed to enjoy the singing and guitar playing. There was this one gentleman that I would say was probable around his 70’s, maybe 80’s, raised his arm with EVERY song that was sung. And that right there proves that God speaks, moves, and touches lives of every age. Not just the young but the elderly as well.

 

-Matthew 25:40-
“And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me”

 

Words cannot describe how blessed I felt to be able to serve these sweet people. Hopefully, we will be able to do it again very soon!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment